Trap Preparation Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: MINK, COON pan tension [Re: ] #135047
03/14/07 03:06 PM
03/14/07 03:06 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
I don't mess with bolt very often to adjust pan tension. I set the trap, level the pan by pushing in on the dog, then depress the pan to where it's just barely still hooked by the dog. A frog jumping on it would fire the trap.

I also use zero pan tension for mink or coon. Mink are almost always caught high. Coon almost always caught by the front foot, not up on the leg, which is what I want.

I'm rich enough to buy anything I want, I just have to be careful on what I want.
Re: MINK, COON pan tension [Re: ] #135068
03/14/07 03:23 PM
03/14/07 03:23 PM
Warren, PA
L
LurkerLance Offline
trapper
LurkerLance  Offline
trapper
L

Warren, PA
Thanks for the info Tom.

If I tell you a chicken dips snuff, look under it's left wing and you'll find a can
Re: MINK, COON pan tension [Re: LurkerLance] #135168
03/14/07 04:53 PM
03/14/07 04:53 PM
Southwest Ohio
Creekwalker Offline
trapper
Creekwalker  Offline
trapper

Southwest Ohio
I use zero pan tension, bend the dog if necessary, and night latch. One Victor pinch pans, I night latch the dog. I push the pan down to make sure it's seated down with no play at the hinge, then click the pan down into the night latch on the dog. Later in the season, when it's colder and when the dye is wearing off and the traps are starting to get a little rust on them, I rub wax from a white candle on the tip of the dog to make sure it fires smoothly.

Member OSTA, NTA, USSA
Re: MINK, COON pan tension [Re: Creekwalker] #135527
03/14/07 08:38 PM
03/14/07 08:38 PM
minn
F
fossil2 Offline
trapper
fossil2  Offline
trapper
F

minn
charles,,tighten pan bolt to remove sideways slop and still freefall. i use baited pockets and position the trap half into the pocket. if you looked down on the set from above, youd see exactly half the trap. keep the pocket narrow so both trap jaws touch the sides of the pocket. thats my way, and i dont miss many mink, coon, or rats in these sets. trap positioning is very important for coon with no pan tension. also make sure the bank is high enough aboue the set that a coon cant reach it from above. hope this helps. tim

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91