Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1198840 - 02/17/09 01:40 PM Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!!
Uncle Fester Offline
"Mongoose Master"

Loc: Colorado
I have been asked about this several times so as I was skinning a couple cats I figured I would do a photo tutorial. When I sell cats to taxidermists I want to minimize my time and maximize the money I make. One way I do this is to skin the critters myself. Most taxidermist's prefer a dorsal skinned specimen, which is completely opposite of the way most trappers are used to doing busines. It may take a couple times to get the hang of it but it is a fairly easy process once you get it down.

1. I hang the subject up by the back legs just as you would if you were case skinning it.

2. Make an incision with a sharp thin bladed knife, starting at the back of the neck and finishing at the base of the tail.

3. Get in around the mid section and work the hide free with your fingers until you have it freed completely around the animal.

4. Work the hide down off of the shoulders and push the elbows up to expose them.

5. Work around the front leg and peel the hide down to a point a few inches above the paw.

6. Cut the leg bones off, I use bolt cutters for this, and repeat on the other leg.

7. At this point you can cut the head off leaving the skull in the pelt. Once that is done flip the carcass and hang from the front legs.

8. Continue to peel the hide down until you reach the tail bone. Cut the tail bone off close to the carcass and leave in the pelt. With a sharp knife, separate the anus and genitals leaving on the pelt, cut close to the carcass as not to put any holes in the pelt.

9. The pelt is pretty much free at this point and you should be able to peel it right sown to the feet. Once at the feet cut the leg bones off again leaving a few inches of bone in the pelt.

10. With a sharp knife cut as close as you can to the skull and make an incision up through the eye, taking care not to slice the lip or eye lid. Insert tag.

11. Roll up pelt and vacume seal. I atatch a label with the cat number and measurements for quick reference when going through the freezer.

12. Freeze until ready to ship.

This 21lb cat will now fit in a flat rate shipping box, saving you and the custome alot of money. I pack mine with a couple .99 freezer packs and wrap well in newspaper to insulate them. I hope this post helps some of you.

#1198850 - 02/17/09 01:45 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Fester]
VaBeagler Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Virginia, 42 yo
Good informative post. Never tried it before but have wondered about it.

#1198874 - 02/17/09 01:53 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: VaBeagler]
ADC
Unregistered

Great post!

Sent you a PM too. wink

~ADC~

#1198875 - 02/17/09 01:54 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: VaBeagler]
Tightchain Offline
trapper

Loc: S.C. Wisconsin
Nice Fester. Prune did a fine job teaching ya.

#1198885 - 02/17/09 01:59 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: Tightchain]
PappyD Offline
trapper

Loc: West Tennessee
I smell Archives on this one Fester!!! Great Post!

#1198888 - 02/17/09 02:00 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: PappyD]
andrew5 Offline
trapper

Loc: ohio
pretty cool

#1198936 - 02/17/09 02:25 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: andrew5]
g3trappernc Offline
trapper

Loc: Iredell County, NC
Good job cropping the pictures Sean!

#1199014 - 02/17/09 03:03 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: Liv4Trappin]
boyswannatrap Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
Nice Job, like the Hustlers.

#1199018 - 02/17/09 03:06 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: Liv4Trappin]
walkerdog Offline
trapper

Loc: Findlay, Ohio
So what would you get out of that cat to a taxidermist compared to case skinned cat dried and sold?

#1199077 - 02/17/09 03:44 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: walkerdog]
Bottomline Offline
"Mr. President"

Loc: Johnston County, NC
Very informative post Fester.

#1199232 - 02/17/09 04:54 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: Bottomline]
skunkly Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central Wisconsin...33
+++ for the archives! Great write up and pics, Feaster smile

-Skunkly-

#1199239 - 02/17/09 04:58 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: skunkly]
hunterjmj Offline
trapper

Loc: Belgrade, Montana
Nice post!
Matthew 1:21 She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sin.

#1199267 - 02/17/09 05:14 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: hunterjmj]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Great write up. Never knew how to dorsal skin, glad you did this for us!!

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#1199288 - 02/17/09 05:26 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: Alaskan]
GaTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
Excellent Post

#1199493 - 02/17/09 06:43 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: GaTrapper]
NMtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: new mexico
Fester, great post. very informative.

J-

#1199570 - 02/17/09 07:10 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: NMtrapper]
g3trappernc Offline
trapper

Fester,

What measurements to you take? I know on cats, fox and such one is nose to base of tail (over the carcass) and one is nose to eye (center of nose to corner of eye). I think the last is girth. Is that right behind the shoulders? Do you take that measurement on the carcass or off. Different guys I have talked to have different preferences.

Also, have you ever done a ventral skin? Any changes from the above process (other than back vs. belly)?

Great post, and definitely one for the archives.

#1199628 - 02/17/09 07:27 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: g3trappernc]
Uncle Fester Offline
"Mongoose Master"

Loc: Colorado
G3,

I take the following measurements.

Weight

Nose to base of tail

Girth

Nose to corner eye

All measurements taken over the fur. No ventral just dorsal. Now this is how I do it after talking with alot of different Taxidermists this seemed to be the prefered method. Some Taxi's have different preferences, I have not had any problems doing it like this.

#1199675 - 02/17/09 07:40 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: Liv4Trappin]
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"

Loc: Central Pa. 54
Originally Posted By: Liv4Trappin
Great job on the tutorial Fester! This should help alot of guys thinking of selling to the Taxidermy market! As a Taxidermist myself, I prefer to have them ventral skinned up the belly, but same procedure from there.

Mike

I do a little Taxi work myself. Just wondering how you pull the cape over a 4 legged mannequin with a ventral skinned critter.
To me, A dorsal skinned cape, pulls up onto the mannequin, much like a pair of 4 legged trousers. Just curious?

#1199683 - 02/17/09 07:42 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Fester]
g3trappernc Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: UncleFester
G3,

I take the following measurements.

Weight

Nose to base of tail

Girth

Nose to corner eye

All measurements taken over the fur. No ventral just dorsal. Now this is how I do it after talking with alot of different Taxidermists this seemed to be the prefered method. Some Taxi's have different preferences, I have not had any problems doing it like this.

Fester - where do you take the girth - widest point, or right behind the shoulders. I guess it should be very close to the same.

#1199881 - 02/17/09 08:37 PM Re: Dorsal Skinning for Fun and Proffit!!!!!!! [Re: g3trappernc]
ray12 Offline
trapper

Loc: Millersburg OH,
cool

Check Out

www.GJhunting.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie