Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 27 of 56 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 55 56 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1081616 - 12/29/08 12:32 PM Re: 2008 weasel thread [Re: ]
SkunkWrestler Offline
trapper

Loc: North of 2poor, MN
I would shovel it out, they'll use it once you shovel it out for them if they haven't already tunneled their way in.

'Oh no, I found a PLANT growing in the WOODS and I think someone PUT it there!'

#1081618 - 12/29/08 12:34 PM Re: 2008 weasel thread [Re: SkunkWrestler]
Rob906
Unregistered

Ok may give it a try i think imma move all of my boxes so imma hit the roads here for a couple weeks yet and see if i cant pull a magic rabbit outta the hat.

This year has been really poor for me on the weasels i dont know why. I do think imma go back to useing chicken livers tho instead of beaver.

#1081815 - 12/29/08 02:16 PM Re: 2008 weasel thread [Re: ]
Animals Only Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Michigan
Well I had to bust this from the ice. We had a flood and it covered my boxes. See what I found inside. It's a white one caught 5 feet from the brown one I shown in the other earlier post.

#1081954 - 12/29/08 03:26 PM Re: Hole size [Re: bullgetter]
GRIZ Offline
trapper

Loc: Central MN
Originally Posted By: bullgetter
I place a weasel box in all of my lynx cubbies. One thing I noticed with boxes that had a 1 5/8 hole was the weasel would just feed on the hanging beaver bait for the lynx and ignore the box all together. I then went to a 2 inch hole and my catch rate went way up as they did not have to work to get in compared to the smaller holed box.

That is interesting. Makes me think that they will take the easier meal given the choice of jumping in the smaller hole.Then on the other hand would prefer the more confined cover over the easier meal given the larger hole. Just sounds interesting an makes me think a bit.
I.B.O.T. #288
GRIZ

#1082396 - 12/29/08 05:44 PM Re: Hole size [Re: GRIZ]
Swamp Walker Offline
trapper

Loc: Palmer, Alaska
Drakej, please post a picture of the "vinyl box" you spoke of several pages back in this thread.
I am interested in something that would stack well and accomodate the Victor rat trap. Thanks- good info everyone...

#1082428 - 12/29/08 05:49 PM Re: Hole size [Re: Swamp Walker]
frwo25 Offline
trapper

Loc: Upstate NY
Can anyone post a picture of a Jack Pine Savage Box? I know what the milk jug set looks like and the weasel boxes in this thread. I can't find anything in the archive about Jack Pine Savage boxes. I have just wondering how they are different.

Thank you,

Fred

#1082487 - 12/29/08 06:00 PM Re: Hole size [Re: frwo25]
MartenMan Offline
trapper

Loc: Tenstrike, Minnesota
the jack pine savage is the milk jug set!

#1082527 - 12/29/08 06:10 PM Re: Hole size [Re: MartenMan]
Grubstake Offline
trapper

Loc: Lotw MN
if anyone tells you that i am a quitter it is true, i think i have had enough weasel trapping for the year. way too much snow and water!

#1082629 - 12/29/08 06:33 PM Re: Hole size [Re: Grubstake]
upnorthwi Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
Its been tough keeping ahead of the snow and rain here also. I have been setting mostly culverts and bridges,but have alot of national forest land I can trap, but have a hard time with finding funnel points in the big woods.Anybody trap large timbered areas? would you set on sign only? target swampy areas? or just stick with the farmland.

#1082895 - 12/29/08 07:44 PM Re: Hole size [Re: Grubstake]
Happy Birthday MNcooner Offline
trapper

Loc: MN, just north of Sodom
Originally Posted By: Grubstake
if anyone tells you that i am a quitter it is true, i think i have had enough weasel trapping for the year. way too much snow and water!

Unbelievable.

I might have to change my siggy.

Follower of the gnome

#1083041 - 12/29/08 08:22 PM Re: 2008 weasel thread [Re: skunk24]
Drakej Offline
trapper

Loc: Kanabec Cty, MN
If an ermine needs washing is it best done before skinning?

#1083206 - 12/29/08 09:18 PM Re: Hole size [Re: upnorthwi]
2poor Offline

Loc: Lake Mille Lacs , MN
Originally Posted By: upnorthwi
Its been tough keeping ahead of the snow and rain here also. I have been setting mostly culverts and bridges,but have alot of national forest land I can trap, but have a hard time with finding funnel points in the big woods.Anybody trap large timbered areas? would you set on sign only? target swampy areas? or just stick with the farmland.

The Jack Pine Savage traps mainly the big woods. This is a very good question for him to answer. Myself I depend on culverts as I have a very small amount of Public Land to work from.

It is a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job !

http://mooseriverlures.com/

#1083388 - 12/29/08 10:04 PM Re: Hole size [Re: 2poor]
madtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Ely, Minnesota, coolest small ...
Glad to see your'e gettin around Arnie. Your'e way ahead of me and I don't think I will ever catch up, not this year anyway. If you would only slow down I might have a chance to catch up to you. Well, maybe in 10 years or so. I'm having the same problem with the culverts, can't find em anymore, but the weasels know where they are and will tunnel down to them, but there aren't any weasels around here this year anyway. Somebody asked for dimensions for weasel boxes, I think there is info in the archives, just don't know where right now.

#1083393 - 12/29/08 10:05 PM Re: Hole size [Re: madtrapper]
madtrapper Offline
trapper

Drake, I think it's better to wash them before skinning, you can dry them faster with a fan when they are still in the carcass.

#1083419 - 12/29/08 10:12 PM Re: Hole size [Re: madtrapper]
madtrapper Offline
trapper

Somebody asked if there was any use for shrews, Maybe a biology teacher might have a use for them, either at a high school or a college. Or maybe an environmental learning center would be interested. Sometimes they can use some of those accidental catches like flying squirrels, shrews, voles, or whatever.

#1083445 - 12/29/08 10:24 PM Re: Hole size [Re: madtrapper]
madtrapper Offline
trapper

somebody asked about a vinyl box. I wonder if that is made from the same stuff that that Quiet Eddie used for coniboxes a few years ago when he used to come to the Minnesota convention? They were collapsible and you could carry quite a few of them it looked like.

#1083591 - 12/29/08 11:40 PM Re: Hole size [Re: madtrapper]
Northof50 Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba
The question was asked about washing. Just wash them,finger rub them dry, skin and stretch onto the board.
The reason is that weasels taint their bellies very fast, even faster if trap damage anywhere in the digestion system. When the grader come upon one of these washed weasels they gently blow inside and the fur pattern is different than when they started so the recognize this and do not down grade you.
The tainted skin on the sides is obvous and over they go off the 1 st pile.
That clear skin of theirs tells a lot of thing awfully fast.
When you have a pile of fur to skin; the best rule of thumb is to always due the weasels first, their body size thaws fastest and skin damage is the fastest.

Another question was when do you quite trapping them. The white sinnged hair shows to the trained eye. Also the skin when dried gets boardy much like a racoon does but in miniture scale. pics later.

Edited by squirrelchaser (12/29/08 11:59 PM)

#1083945 - 12/30/08 08:51 AM Re: Hole size [Re: Northof50]
GRIZ Offline
trapper

Loc: Central MN
Looks like we gettin more of that white stuff. Not so much round here maybe 3" total. But with the winds that are expected I'm guessing the shovel may get a work out. I can see where you with more snow could be sick of it.
I.B.O.T. #288
GRIZ

#1083950 - 12/30/08 08:55 AM Re: Hole size [Re: GRIZ]
SkunkWrestler Offline
trapper

Loc: North of 2poor, MN
Em, yes I'm sick of it! Checking traps today will be a fun time, digging traps out of the snow for the umpeenth time.

'Oh no, I found a PLANT growing in the WOODS and I think someone PUT it there!'

#1084167 - 12/30/08 10:53 AM Re: Hole size [Re: SkunkWrestler]
madtrapper Offline
trapper

Has anybody ever tried painting or speed dipping traps white for weasels? How does it work?

Page 27 of 56 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 55 56 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie