Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#1078540 - 12/28/08 12:19 AM Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof?
KSlongliner Offline
trapper

Loc: SC, KANSAS
Will salt work against me if i use it to freeze proof sets with dry dirt and peat moss? Wil it bring in moisture if its under the 20 degree range? If so is their any alternatives?

#1078572 - 12/28/08 01:13 AM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: KSlongliner]
mr. finch Offline
trapper

Loc: kansas
some people like dry dirt/salt some not so much. its great so long as it dont rain then it isnt dry anymore.i like peat moss much better repels water rather than asorb it.i would just run peat moss and not mix it with the dirt myself

#1078724 - 12/28/08 08:14 AM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: mr. finch]
Bob Jameson Offline

Loc: SW Pa
I have been using peat, dry dirt/hulls,rice hulls and a salt combo for 30 plus years with few problems. Steady heavy/ rain then freezing temps and wind chill conditions will just about kill any method to a degree. Even wax dirt has its limitations.

Wildlife Pest Control Services

#1078726 - 12/28/08 08:19 AM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: Bob Jameson]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Sigh....don't I know it! laugh ha!

#1078727 - 12/28/08 08:19 AM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: Bob Jameson]
Fisher-usmc Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
same here, been using peat moss or dry dirt wixed with salt, it works good if i doesnt rain, then it just gets wet and freezes, but it's like -8 outside here. What works best for me is in the summer get dirt from an anthill,put somepeat moss over the trap then sift some anthill dirt on, this stays dry really well for me but it's a little late to get anymore.

#1078846 - 12/28/08 09:41 AM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: Fisher-usmc]
trapfurfun Offline
trapper

Loc: NE Kansas
Salt=deer where I trap. Found out the hard way this year.

#1078951 - 12/28/08 11:00 AM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: trapfurfun]
decoy Offline
trapper

Loc: north Idaho
Bob, can you say what your formula is for the mix? # for #, gal. to gal, etc.
Thanks

#1079137 - 12/28/08 12:39 PM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: decoy]
Bob Jameson Offline

I dont have a formula or do I measure in inches. All I can say is that I do layer sprinkling of salt into the initial bed. Then depending on conditions I add some set dirt or put up dry dirt and pour some salt onto this medium then stir the salt in with my hand to mix it throughout. Make a pocket in the bedding with my hand then twist and pinch pack the dirt under the levers and against the outside jaws real fast to stablize the trap fairly well.I shake a sprinkle of salt around the whole outside edge of the bedded trap once again.

Add a couple handfuls of dry sifted peat to the inside of the jaws area and press the peat into the interior of the jaws to reduce sagging.I then put the finish cover dirt into my sifter pour some salt on the dirt top. Then sift the set over with this final cover.

The salt will mix nicely with the dirt as you shake over the set proper and the apron area.Dont just bullseye the the trap with your cover.Allow some overlap to blend nicely.

This winter set conditioning is all done in less then a minute once the trap is staked and set for positioning.I have done this for so long it goes very quickly.

Step two Method:

If you cut your bed just right, just the size of the trap jaws only,dig the bed 5"-6" deep, hammer down the area for your trap levers, you can just sprinkle salt in the initial cut out bed,stake your trap, fill the bed with the needed peat, bed the trap in the peat, cover the bedded trap with peat,compress the peat the best possible and finish with a salt treated dirt finish.If you practice your pattern cutting to get a tight fit,you can actually pound your trap secure by pounding the soil at both ouside jaw positions just enough to pinch it tight.You need to make sure you dont have any bare steel contact to the soil that is not treated or barriered in some manner, as the moisture creep may grab your trap. Rub salt against the jaw contact soil areas or you can spray your trap frame underside, levers and outside jaw edges with a 50/50 mix of glycol and water to stop the frost grab.

I do things instinctively now depending on expected conditions. Even with the best methods things can be cursed by mother nature.

#1079201 - 12/28/08 01:16 PM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: Bob Jameson]
KSlongliner Offline
trapper

Thanks bob and others...i will defanantly try these methods. I have been using sphangum moss , peat moss, salt, and some dry dirt. This have been orking good to.

#1079392 - 12/28/08 03:10 PM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: KSlongliner]
wr otis Offline
trapper

Jim Cundiff's power bedding method book is a good read for foul weather trapping. Running Jim's method with steel screen or aluminum screen really helps fight freeze thaw conditions.
You could use Jim's method to bed a trap almost anywhere you wanted to.

#1082181 - 12/29/08 04:45 PM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: wr otis]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
I know Jim... Darn good trapper!

#1082246 - 12/29/08 05:04 PM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: LT GREY]
KSlongliner Offline
trapper

yeah the salt has been working fine, but i didnt know wheather in really cold condtions if i would actualy work against me and draw moisture.

#1082350 - 12/29/08 05:34 PM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: KSlongliner]
Ridgerunner Offline
trapper

Loc: West Central,Indiana
Bob how do you bed the trap tightly using peat only.

#1082455 - 12/29/08 05:53 PM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: Ridgerunner]
Bob Jameson Offline

I use the second method described in my post to use with peat. With a little practice it is less work and less material needed to bed and complete your setup.No soft spots on the approach or time to react to this bedding method.Only soft area is between the jaws.

The hammer pinch of the sod against the jaws is the key for me.i hold the trap with my left hand and pound the sod against the jaws just enough to wedge the trap securely.Then finish the covering of the set.

#1083651 - 12/30/08 12:42 AM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: Bob Jameson]
decoy Offline
trapper

Loc: north Idaho
Thanks Bob for your imput.
Where can I get Jims book?

#1083677 - 12/30/08 01:38 AM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: decoy]
johnwilkinson Offline
trapper

Loc: Westmoreland Co. PA.
Salt! It will keep yer traps from freezing up, BUT is very hard on steel! Not my choice!

#1083730 - 12/30/08 05:35 AM Re: Salting dirt to make it freeze-proof? [Re: johnwilkinson]
wr otis Offline
trapper

Probably some other people sell jim's book but you can get it directly from him, it used to be like six or eight bucks he advertises in a couple of the major magazines.
Jim's method takes a little longer to do the first time you set the trap, but after catches all you do is clear any debris out and snap the trap back in place solid as a rock again. Once you get on to it goes really quickly. You can bed a trap pretty much any where with it also with the right pins you could bed one on asphault or the side of a tree if you wanted to.

Moderator:  tmrschessie