Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1056683 - 12/17/08 11:11 PM Mink Snaring
shaun Offline
trapper

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Does any one do it? Any info would help. I tried to find stuff in the archives but failed in doing so. Thank you!

#1056692 - 12/17/08 11:16 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
stickbowhntr Offline
trapper

Loc: sw pa
yep got two dvd's from eric space on snaring and even thought I can not snare here lots of good info on there to adapt to land and conibears.......get his stuff , $25 each and some great info on snaring

Edited by stickbowhntr (12/17/08 11:17 PM)

#1059082 - 12/18/08 11:17 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: stickbowhntr]
shaun Offline
trapper

Just looking for size of loop and distance off the ground please. I'm an avid canine snareman so I understand the basics of snaring so those few things would be great. Also maybe what type of cable and lock, anything else would be well received.

#1059142 - 12/19/08 12:09 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Kirk Offline
trapper

Loc: louisiana
Shaun check with Lt grey he snares them

#1059316 - 12/19/08 05:35 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Kirk]
water n my boots Offline
"WHINER"

Loc: Ft. Hood, TX
sounds like it aould really be hard to get them into one to me.

Edited by water n my boots (12/19/08 05:36 AM)

#1060328 - 12/19/08 01:29 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: water n my boots]
Clark Offline
trapper

Loc: Duluth, MN
It can be done:

1/16" cable, swiveled, BMI mini lock, loaded heavily. Order Eric Space's videos, well worth the money, it will save you days of learning how to do it. Personally, I think that once things tighten up, snaring mink is the best way to go. Compared to stabilizing a conibear or bedding a foothold on ice, snares are simple.

Clark

#1060401 - 12/19/08 02:09 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Clark]
Fuzz Offline
trapper

Loc: NE Iowa
in iowa we have to have deer stops on our snares, the loop when closed cannot be less than 2.5 inches, is that too much room for a mink, or would that hold him

#1063092 - 12/20/08 06:47 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Fuzz]
swamp runner Offline
trapper

Loc: oklahoma, usa
newt Sterling also has a DVD that is called master mink and muskrat snaring. good luck

#1078796 - 12/28/08 09:11 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: swamp runner]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Will post some pictures here on Tuesday night.

#1083481 - 12/29/08 10:38 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
shaun Offline
trapper

That would be great! LT

#1084912 - 12/30/08 04:48 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Over the years, I have received many letters from trappers across the country, wishing to learn how to successfully snare mink. Mink are quite easily snared, as long as you follow some basic principles. As with any furbearer, in order to catch numbers of mink, you have to have the numbers there to catch.

Snares: One of the first things I should talk about is the mink snare itself. I have tried many different types and several sizes of cable, but prefer the 1x19 in the 1/16th size. Many trappers have tried the thinner 3/64th cable for mink snaring. I have tried it, but found it does have its limitations. If you can drown the mink quickly, then 3/64th is not a bad choice. However if you are snaring your mink on dry land or near any kind of entanglement, then I suggest staying with the 1/16th. A mink's skin is quite thin and easily cut, and without proper swiveling and a quick killing lock, you will end up damaging more pelts with the thinner 3/64th. Hence, the reasons why I have gone back to a smooth 1/16th cable on my mink lines. It should go without saying, that the thicker the cable, the less skin and fur damage you will have with any animal you catch.

The most important thing on a mink snare, in my opinion, is an in-line swivel. The closer the in-line swivel is to the lock, the better. Mink, once caught, will start twisting and rolling and can easily kink up a snare cable, which is why an in-line swivel is so important. You will want the in-line swivel just behind your loop size of 2.5 to 3.5 inches. Any longer, and you will give the mink too much length to tangle up and twist the cable. A swivel on the end of a mink snare is just a waste of time.

As far as snare locks, you want a lock with low visibility. I have been using the Slim Lock and have also used Gregerson's Mink Lock with great success. All of my snares are "speed loaded." This is a must for mink snares! You want the snare closing as soon as the mink touches it, with the snare closing right behind the ears and right under the throat area. This would be what I would call an ideal catch on any furbearer. You will need a fast lock, smooth snare cable and a speed-loaded snare to accomplish this consistently. On loop size, again, 2.5 to 3.5 is what I use and about 1 to 2 inches off the ground. (I use the width of my two fingers as a rule). Anything else will cause you to miss a lot of mink or to catch them around the hip area, which will cause some fur damage.

For snare support, I normally use 14 gauge wire. It doesn't take much to hold up the loop on a mink snare. You want the snare support to go just right behind the lock, but never right up against the lock. If the snare support is right up tight against the lock, it will often slow the lock down or cause it to delay in firing. As I have already said, you want the snare to drop just as soon as the mink hits the loop. So, I leave about 1/2 inch distance, which seems about right. With 14 gauge wire, I bend the end in a U-shape, then I bend it sideways, so the snare cable will lay through it. I want it to be a snug fit, but not so tight that once the mink is caught it cannot pull the cable free. Otherwise, this would interfere with the in-line swiveling, which would defeat the purpose. You want that swivel working at all times. Most of my mink snares will be fastened to a 15-inch T-Bar made of 1/2 inch smooth rod. I run my support wire off of it. This way, I have the whole set up integrated into one unit. I will also, at times, wire directly to a solid support and at times have also used a common building brick or rail road plate as a drag. Most mink will pull these into deep water and drown quickly. These will also be things that I leave hidden at the location after seasons end and will use year after year. You don't want to carry a lot of weight around on your mink line. The less you have to carry, the faster you can move.

As far as snare treatment goes, I have boiled my snares in baking soda in the past but now just dip them in Formula 1 once or twice, shake off any excess and hang them up to dry. Then, I will streak them with several different colors of camo paint to break up the outline. Any shades of brown, grey, olive drab or tan will do. This is how I do all of my snares. After they hang out to dry, I run the lock back and forth to ensure there is absolutely no build-up on or inside the lock or the cable. After that, they just hang outside until I need them. I do think the mink actually sees the small loop and tries to jump through it, regardless of how you treat it. I know several trappers who just use a shiny snare, the way they bought them, and still catch plenty of mink. A mink doesn't know what a snare is. Still, I treat all my snares as I feel more confident setting them and it helps hide them from other trappers.

I don't use much bait or lure when snaring mink due to our over abundance of raccoons, skunks and opossums. I am very much a blind set man when it comes to setting mink snares. Any place you can set a blind set with a foot hold, you can set a mink snare. It's just that simple! There is one place where I do use bait when snaring mink and that is at an elbow set along the water's edge. I like my hole just barely above the waterline and no larger than 3 to 4 inches wide and at least 2 feet deep. I set a snare on both ends. If the water rises, so be it. I will still catch some mink, even if it freezes over. I also at times use natural mink musk at a set. Some argue it scares off smaller males and females. I have never noticed that, but for the sake of argument, I would prefer not to catch those anyway. Incidentally, the farther you get away from the waterline, the more male mink you will end up catching! Last year I caught one in a coyote snare over 1/2 mile from any water source. It ended up being an old buck and the largest one I had ever taken in almost 40 years of trapping.

Location: As with any type of trapping, location will play an important role in your success. Since you are basically blind setting a 2.5 to 3.5 snare loop to catch your prey, it becomes critically important. It is not as easy as setting a baited set along a travel way and expecting the wind or eye appeal to play a key role. I like to set on sign but sometimes it may be difficult to find. Any location you find mink tracks is a good place to start. If you live in an area where you get snowfall, I recommend following a set of mink tracks whenever you get a chance. They will teach you a lot about what a mink will or won't do in a short amount of time.

Every hole along the edge of a stream will eventually be visited by a mink, regardless of its size. If it is big enough for a mink to poke its head into, it will. That goes for holes along any other body of water. I always slick them up to make them appear that they are being used, as this creates eye appeal. In my opinion, the elbow set, as I stated earlier, is by far the most productive of the hole sets. I will often bend down and try to get a mink's eye level view on the terrain. Doing this will show you many places you might otherwise miss. Over hanging banks, brush piles, log jams, old beaver lodges or washed out bank dens, drainage pipes, culverts, crossing logs, muskrat dens, old tree root cavities, where feeder streams enter a main body of water, bridges where they meet the shoreline, hollow logs, even ones you transport, will all be points of interest to every passing mink. One of my favorite places is a beaver dam. Mink as well as other animals will cross these. I form two sticks in an x shape, right along the top edge of the dam. I set one on each end. The snare will go between the bottom parts of the x, with just enough room for the mink to enter between the two sticks. This will miss every other fur bearer that will also cross the beaver dam, as they will step over and not go beneath as a mink will. Another place is where a sand bar meets the water’s edge. The steeper a vertical bank is along this point, the better this becomes. A few naturally placed guide sticks or rocks can also be used to your advantage to help guide the mink. Don't over do it. A little goes a long way.

Snaring, where legal, I feel, offers you more options than with any other method of taking mink. They are lighter and faster than many methods and less thief proof, due to their lower visibility and certainly cheaper on the wallet if it does occur. They also will keep operating in weather conditions when most other types of sets would be put out of commission.

Take some time during this off season to scout along your mink line. You may be surprised at how many minky places you'll find that you can set a snare in. Any place you can set a conibear or foothold, you can set a snare. Often times, the simpler it is, the better. Snaring may just open your eyes to another way of taking numbers of mink this coming season.

This is the size loop for mink. 1/16th with a Gregerson lock.

Snared mink.

Mink snaring class out on the line.

#1085787 - 12/30/08 08:08 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
johnsd16 Offline
trapper

Loc: MN-30
Awesome LT, thanks!

#1088715 - 01/01/09 12:38 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: johnsd16]
Cutter Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Oregon- 30
Thanks LT, I've been looking forward to this post.

I've used a slim locks a bunch for larger predators and really like them, the micro locks are good IMO too.

Can you get a good close up pic of the Gregerson lock you mention, I haven't seen these before. You said he calls it his "Mink Lock" I believe.

Do you have a link where I could look at them?

Thanks again, very imformative for me as I have snared everything except mink, and have been wondering about it.

#1089824 - 01/01/09 04:25 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Cutter]
shaun Offline
trapper

Very much appreciated LT. Happy Holidays.

#1091338 - 01/02/09 09:02 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Thanks shaun...same to ya'! Didn't have much of a holiday...worst ever but maybe this year will be better. One can only hope!

Cutter, I'm not real 'sold' on the micro locks...the slim lock I do like on coyote, beaver and fox snares though....Contact me via a PM and I'll let ya' know how to get one of my mink snares.

#1091691 - 01/02/09 11:46 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
aprophet Offline
trapper

Loc: Portsmouth Va.
the length of the snare is that a 18 " long snare your holding tia

Molan Labe

Venari Vastantium

#1093954 - 01/03/09 08:49 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: aprophet]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Actual cable 24", unless it's on a Gregerson lock and the type of swivel that is in my palm,( please go back and view picture) then I can do it with 12" of 1/16th. That is a different type of set-up.

#1093984 - 01/03/09 09:03 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LM Shortcut Offline
trapper

Loc: MI
Hi LT, sent you another PM, for a dozen snares. Thanks for all the information. And, SMILE in them pics. Ha. LM.

#1098765 - 01/05/09 08:07 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LM Shortcut]
aprophet Offline
trapper

Loc: Portsmouth Va.
I was asking about the 12" one it looked kina short I just started using snares looking at descriptions in catalogs they seem really long but then I tried setting a few and 42" seemed really short LOL thanks for the help

Molan Labe

Venari Vastantium

#1098952 - 01/05/09 10:35 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: aprophet]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

You want the swivel as close to the snared mink, as possible!

#1098964 - 01/05/09 10:56 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
LT, Excellent post... Do you get around the deer stop by having a break away pull of less than 350 pound for here in Ohio?

How do you ensure that the break away is less than 350#?

#1101588 - 01/06/09 11:07 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Ohio Andy]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yep, Gregerson lock does that! wink

(Deer stop on a mink snare? Hahahahahahahahahaha) laugh

Not laughing at you, Ohio Andy...just the laws!

#1101623 - 01/06/09 11:27 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

The Gregerson lock has a break away built in? Nice.

http://www.snareone.com/viewitem.asp?id=103

"Tear out at 339#" there it is.

I wondered how you went about snaring mink with a 2.5" loop stop... New to this snaring thing and still LOTS to LEARN!

Edited by Ohio Andy (01/06/09 11:34 AM)

#1101996 - 01/06/09 03:11 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Ohio Andy]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yes, I use Gregerson locks on coyote,'coon, fox and beaver snares too.

I also use the Cam and Slim lock.

I dislike everything else!

#1113568 - 01/10/09 06:37 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
TheRAT Offline
trapper

Loc: Meriden, KS
LT, I read the article that was in the Trapperman.com book. It is great to have the pictures to go with it.

#1118298 - 01/12/09 03:48 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: TheRAT]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yes they did not put in all the pictures I sent in...that's the breaks I guess... smile

I wanted to show the newest mink set-up, which is all one unit. Pretty slick deal really! Mink on a 1/2" mini kill pole! laugh

#1118304 - 01/12/09 03:51 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Can you post the pic there LT?

#1123606 - 01/14/09 02:16 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Ohio Andy]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

I'll try to get one on here sometime in the near future.

#1123891 - 01/14/09 03:52 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
Elk RIver Offline
trapper

Loc: West Virginia
LT,

I would like to order some of those mink snares.

Anyone know how can I order that Eric Space mink snaring video?

Edited by Elk RIver (01/15/09 07:57 AM)

#1134382 - 01/18/09 07:29 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
barbwire Offline
trapper

Loc: eastern WV
^

#1140458 - 01/21/09 10:00 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: barbwire]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Order is ready, send me a PM.

#1141922 - 01/21/09 09:17 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
Airedaleguy Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
yea it sounds like a challenge im guna have to try that myself

#1203239 - 02/19/09 11:46 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Barbwire, get a chance to use your snares yet?

#1203404 - 02/19/09 01:25 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
Nova Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Awesome post thanks.

#1203716 - 02/19/09 03:22 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Nova Trapper]
trappinboy101 Offline
trapper

Loc: Traphill, N.C.
this should go on the archives

#1205140 - 02/20/09 06:50 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Elk RIver]
TINEMASTER Offline
trapper

Loc: NORTHERN NJ
HERES ERICS EMAIL ADDRESS
KWIKDROPSNARES@HOTMAIL.COM
THATS WERE I GET ALL MY SNARES GOOD LUCK

#1224055 - 02/28/09 01:32 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Eric is a very good snareman, as is Newt Sterling. Ya' gotta be to trap in Jersey...as they do not allow foothold traps.

#1255281 - 03/15/09 10:00 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
Marksworld Offline
trapper

Loc: The back roads of Hunterdon Co...
awesome thread very informational!!

#1259731 - 03/17/09 01:36 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Marksworld]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Helping others become better trappers, should be everyone's goal!

#1259766 - 03/17/09 01:57 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
ray12 Offline
trapper

Loc: Millersburg OH,
yep^^^

Check Out

www.GJhunting.com

#1259769 - 03/17/09 01:59 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: ray12]
ray12 Offline
trapper

could u make those mink snares?

Check Out

www.GJhunting.com

#1261894 - 03/18/09 05:03 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: ray12]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

I make all mine...anyone can make a snare with the know how and the right material!

#1286826 - 04/02/09 01:35 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

ttt

#1286827 - 04/02/09 01:35 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

ttt

#1286830 - 04/02/09 01:37 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

#1286939 - 04/02/09 03:26 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
ray12 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
I make all mine...anyone can make a snare with the know how and the right material!

i guess i also saw in the catolog isent in for they sold mink snares for cheap

Check Out

www.GJhunting.com

#1287012 - 04/02/09 04:04 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: ray12]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Who's catalog?
Newts?

#1306129 - 04/14/09 05:01 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
TheRAT Offline
trapper

Loc: Meriden, KS
ttt

#1306138 - 04/14/09 05:06 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: TheRAT]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Every now and then, I snare one of these short sawed-off mink. I'm not sure if its from late litters or some genetic mutation.
A friend of mine calls them a cross between a mink and a weasel: A Measel! laugh

Just like all types of trapping, you get some other catches with mink snaring.
Mainly squirrels and of course some muskrats, which isn't all bad, as long as the mink doesn't get there first! wink

#1306946 - 04/15/09 01:28 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Fuzz]
ADC
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Fuzz
in iowa we have to have deer stops on our snares, the loop when closed cannot be less than 2.5 inches, is that too much room for a mink, or would that hold him

Sadly I'm in the same "boat" as you fuzz. The deer stop on ALL snares law makes mink and rats pretty much un-snarable here. frown

Great stuff in this post though!!!

~ADC~

#1310418 - 04/17/09 03:33 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: ]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Too bad they won't change the law for size of cable, combined with loop size...
For example, 1/16th with a breakaway and no larger than a 4" loop....something like that!?

That would only catch small stuff!

#1326000 - 04/29/09 05:02 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Anyone else snare mink on here?
I'm sure Newt does.

#1327834 - 05/01/09 12:50 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
braswell 38 Offline
trapper

Loc: Challis, Idaho
I will try it next year. After reading your posts and catching a few K-9's I think I might stand a chance in h--l. Asa will sell me some good lure.

#1328178 - 05/01/09 11:59 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: braswell 38]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Mink are easily snared. Go back and re-read my post.
Look, if I can do it, anyone can! smile

#1352235 - 05/21/09 01:54 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

The below photos are of how I rig up most of my mink snares.
It is one unit intergrated together...Shove down along side the trail and GO!

Different view, same set-up! Notice the 16 guage wire....that's all that supports it.
A very slick set-up, if I may say so, myself! wink

If it's gonna be 'road kill' ..do it RIGHT! laugh

Mink kill pole? Nah, it's on a trap! Lure went in on top of the stake head...now THATS Crude but effective! smile
G. Willman photo

A fair day....one of them an old MONSTER! eek

A good snaring location....

Sign, sign sign!

A hugh buck mink in a coyote snare...Now how did that happen? grin

Notice the cage trap? A Vinke special!
Snare is along the tunnel wall.
Can you find it?

#1352974 - 05/22/09 01:20 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
braswell 38 Offline
trapper

Boy LT that fury creature looks good on that Mercedes. Did it come stock with it or is that an option wink?

Edited by braswell 38 (05/22/09 01:21 AM)

#1353453 - 05/22/09 04:29 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: braswell 38]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Nah, it was optional! smile

#1354464 - 05/23/09 07:02 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
mitchell Offline
trapper

Loc: Lester Prairie,Minnesota
i would think mink snaring would be easy if you really think about it

#1356956 - 05/26/09 11:24 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: mitchell]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

I tried to do my part! smile

#1357302 - 05/26/09 04:26 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
mitchell Offline
trapper

do you think mink would fear a snare like a trap

#1357691 - 05/26/09 07:13 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: mitchell]
Newt Offline
trapper

Loc: Port Republic South Jersey
No, they are SUCKERS for snares. Especially whan they are set on dry land.
------------------OVER---------------

www.snareone.com

#1357701 - 05/26/09 07:16 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Newt]
mitchell Offline
trapper

i kinda thought the same thing

#1360199 - 05/28/09 10:56 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: mitchell]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Mink do not fear traps,( unless they would have been caught in one and gotten out, they don't even know what a trap is).

Don't let someone brainwash you into that non-sense!

They don't know what a snare is either...although I've taught a bunch of them what they were! laugh

#1361003 - 05/28/09 09:45 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
Newt Offline
trapper

They may not be a-feered of'm. But they will avoid'm

www.snareone.com

#1361106 - 05/28/09 10:26 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Newt]
mitchell Offline
trapper

ok then thanks

#1361553 - 05/29/09 10:51 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: mitchell]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yeah Newt, but we've caught a large number of mink that didn't.
Most trappers just need to understand mink better and become better mink trappers!

#1361772 - 05/29/09 02:42 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
Newt Offline
trapper

Yea, but just what animal that would'nt be true of?

Most trappers just need to understand mink better and become better mink trappers!

www.snareone.com

#1361790 - 05/29/09 02:55 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Newt]
BanditBuster Offline
trapper

Loc: Near Alexandria, MN
Originally Posted By: Newt
Yea, but just what animal that would'nt be true of?

Grinners... They come no matter what.

#1362052 - 05/29/09 05:05 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: BanditBuster]
mitchell Offline
trapper

there wirthless

#1363044 - 05/30/09 01:42 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: mitchell]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Almost as 'worthless' as your time spent in english class, mitchell.... wink laugh

#1363202 - 05/30/09 05:03 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
BanditBuster Offline
trapper

Loc: Near Alexandria, MN
Yup...

#1363547 - 05/30/09 11:32 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: BanditBuster]
mitchell Offline
trapper

no way it's almost every hour except that class our teacher is awesome

#1399363 - 06/30/09 11:15 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: mitchell]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Kid, you sure "entertain me"... smile

#1399527 - 06/30/09 03:21 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
Jim Spencer Offline
"Resident Jerk"

Loc: Arkansas
Almost as 'worthless' as your time spent in english class, mitchell.... wink laugh

We need to sic Nick the speling Zcar on him...

#1400559 - 07/01/09 11:05 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Jim Spencer]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Ha! smile
Well, at least Mithell knows you spell Marten with an "e" and not "i".
More than I can say for some of these fellows who actually trap them. smile

But in all fairness, we just "rib" some of the guys a little...doesn't mean we're trying to belittle them. It's said in fun.
We all get in a hurry and mispell things at times...myself included.
We only mess with the people we like, eh Mithell?! wink

#1400706 - 07/01/09 01:16 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
Computer Hater Offline
trapper

Lt Grey,

You mean like when you misspell the word misspell.LOL Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

The spelling lesson is over back to mink snaring now.

Randy

#1401759 - 07/02/09 09:41 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Computer Hater]
mitchell Offline
trapper

ya our teacher does a good job teaching us but he's getting lade off

#1402158 - 07/02/09 03:59 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: mitchell]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

See there C.H., YOU GOT THE PUN!!! smile

#1403930 - 07/04/09 02:45 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: ray12]
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 64
LT, do you get docked for the snare marks on your mink? I have on coon and coyote so just wondering if so and how much a guy looses. Thanks, Tom

#1405498 - 07/06/09 02:30 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: tmrschessie]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Not if they are neck snared. Hip/flank snare one and you get a "hard grade."
I tan many of my prime mink and sell that way. I have no problem selling tanned prime mink, even to trappers here on T-man.

#1407253 - 07/07/09 09:58 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
mitchell Offline
trapper

sounds like you would get a lot for tanning furs

#1408839 - 07/09/09 11:20 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: mitchell]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

I make more than the person selling dried fur to a buyer! smile

#1408879 - 07/09/09 11:52 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
mitchell Offline
trapper

how much does tanning furs cost?

#1412702 - 07/13/09 02:18 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: mitchell]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

About $8. per mink. I skin mine with all 4 feet on them.

#1412893 - 07/13/09 04:35 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
mitchell Offline
trapper

then you probally would make a pretty good profit

#1412923 - 07/13/09 05:05 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: mitchell]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Always ! smile

#1413013 - 07/13/09 06:32 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
mitchell Offline
trapper

YUP

#1422901 - 07/21/09 05:59 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: mitchell]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Mitchell, if you show up at the NTA, I'll show you my new mink 'kill pole.'
Pretty slick set-up.

#1574480 - 11/03/09 03:25 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

cme4293...here you go! wink

#1575162 - 11/03/09 07:51 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
cme4293 Offline
trapper

lt can you elaborate on your set up a lil more, 1/16 1x19 cable, 2.5-4" loop, a couple inches off the ground, mink lock/slim lock (breakaway) and then how do you swivel it to the stake and how long of a stake are we talking about and how far in? could you please add some pics? This intrigues me and i think i am gonna try it this season, thanks

#1575208 - 11/03/09 08:06 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: cme4293]
coonwild Offline
trapper

Loc: southern ontario canada
lt show us your mink kill pole

my video's: http://www.youtube.com/trappermatt1976

Matt Duncan

#1576063 - 11/04/09 09:45 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: coonwild]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

It's on page #2 on this thread.
Go back and find the picture of a quarter inside a mink snare , them look at that set-up on a re-bar stake.

That is what I'm using. One system all together!

#1597376 - 11/15/09 07:46 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
braswell 38 Offline
trapper

It's actually on page 1 and it's some fine picture takin'.

#1687112 - 12/27/09 01:48 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Thanks Braswell ! smile

#1687113 - 12/27/09 01:50 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
braswell 38 Offline
trapper

You know, if you keep bringing this up I am going to have to go try it. How well will 1/16" 7x7 work with a slimlock?

#1755923 - 01/22/10 01:29 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

ttt fot Slick T

#1796753 - 02/05/10 10:53 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: TINEMASTER]
rich35 Offline
trapper

Loc: West Virginia
I tried this email but got no responce. I would really like to obtain a copy of Eric's mink snaring videos. Any help would be great.

#1818616 - 02/12/10 03:48 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

He's on here, just type in his name on "user name."

#1895544 - 03/15/10 06:00 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
hippie Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
good post lt, maybe someday this state will get their head out if ya know what i mean. i love to snare but here i have to do it with a trap, blind sets all the way!

#1905689 - 03/20/10 01:59 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: hippie]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Same location though...

#1906133 - 03/20/10 07:19 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
gil turner
Unregistered

great post. we in michigan a looking into opening up mink snaring. alot of good info here. thanks.

#2018195 - 06/05/10 11:58 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: ]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Hope it works out, gil.

#2018833 - 06/05/10 11:47 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
wormbobskey Online   content
trapper

Loc: Chauncey, Ohio
Lt., have you ever thought of welding the J-hook on your stake swivel to the snare swivel? That would be your support and you would only need a small piece of 16 gauge wire twisted on your stake to temporarily hold the swivel until the catch was made. Would eliminate the chance of the support wire interfering with the swiveling of your snare swivel. Just a thought. Worm

#2020235 - 06/07/10 10:00 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: wormbobskey]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Post a pic of your idea, worm.
Always room for great ideas in this game!

#2020566 - 06/07/10 03:14 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
wormbobskey Online   content
trapper

Loc: Chauncey, Ohio
Don't have the know how to post pictures. I was just thinking that if you closed the J-hook onto the snare swivel and put a few tack welds on the snare swivel to the J-hook would give enough support that a wire wouldn't be needed. Maybe a small piece of 16 gauge wire on the stake swivel to hold it in place until a catch is made. Is your 1/16X1X19 coon snare video in the archives? Getting ready to make a couple dozen and wanted a refresher on how you made them.

#2070377 - 07/22/10 01:47 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: wormbobskey]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

16th 7x7

#2072007 - 07/23/10 12:58 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Forrest®]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

3/64th will end up having 'twist outs and cut damage.'

#2095603 - 08/09/10 02:30 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Stay with the 1/16th and a double swivel.

#2097319 - 08/10/10 04:21 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
USAFtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: NE Ohio
LT, i've been working on some mink kill poles, can't wait to use them this winter!!

#2097956 - 08/10/10 09:45 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: ]
Greg L Offline
trapper

Loc: Thumb of MI
Originally Posted By: gil turner
great post. we in michigan a looking into opening up mink snaring. alot of good info here. thanks.

Do you know someone who is working on this, Gil?? Let me know. Maybe we can talk in Evart? You going?

#2113269 - 08/21/10 01:37 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

USAFtrapper
trapper

LT, i've been working on some mink kill poles, can't wait to use them this winter!!

smile

#2124780 - 08/30/10 10:29 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

How about showing me a pic, USAF.
Can you send one through a PM ?

#2125415 - 08/30/10 06:44 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
USAFtrapper Offline
trapper

I'll post some pics shorty!

#2158962 - 09/23/10 05:47 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
USAFtrapper Offline
trapper

Here you go LT, this is what i came up with. Any changes?

Should i shorten the snare, or add a barrel swivel closer to the lock?

Edited by USAFtrapper (09/23/10 09:06 PM)

#2160113 - 09/24/10 12:29 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Looks good...Dead mink, right there...All you need is a grassy trail!
Just make sure the snare can come free of the support wire, once the mink is caught and the swivel can move freely!

#2160556 - 09/24/10 06:30 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
USAFtrapper Offline
trapper

The best part of the whole rig is that it only weighs around 12 ounces!! I can throw a couple dozen in a pack and go.

#2168521 - 09/30/10 03:14 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
snappin_metal Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah, Utah County
Can you use inline swivels used for fishing? The heavy poundage ones of course?

#2169019 - 09/30/10 08:31 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
USAFtrapper Offline
trapper

Don't see why not. The Snare Shop sells the 600# test mini swivels for $5.40 a doz. That might be a little overkill though. BassPro Shops has the black offshore angler barrel swivels in the 350# test(25 pack for $6.99), 225# test(25 pack for 5.99), and 175# test(50 pack for $6.49). I have also wanted to try these. I think placing the barrel swivel right behind the lock would eliminate most chance of debris stopping the swiveling action. I'll make some up and post some pics of the results.

#2169109 - 09/30/10 09:05 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
snappin_metal Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah, Utah County
Cool. I would like to see what you come up with.

#2170298 - 10/01/10 08:01 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: USAFtrapper]
eric space Offline
trapper

Loc: wantage n.j.
USAFtrapper; your mink snare looks a little long from swivel to loop. You need an inline swivel just behind the lock of an open snare loop. A mink is not a strong puller but is a great twister, he will roll thousands of times overnight. I videoed one just after he was snared and afterwards counted his rolls at 67 the first 2 minutes of tape--- all in the same direction,to his right. Over the years I've noticed most mink roll to the right. The farther from the mink the swivel is the greater the chance he will wrap the cable around a root, twig or weed thus making the swivel ineffective and having the cable twisted off.

#2238814 - 11/13/10 09:23 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
USAFtrapper Offline
trapper

A few sets, ye snaremen, how do they look?

#2240506 - 11/14/10 08:10 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
the Black Spot Offline
trapper

Loc: east central arkansas
i have used Erics snares, they are great! His videos are VERY informative. he shows how to dispatch in a unique way.

member: NTA, SWARFTA, NRA

#2246998 - 11/18/10 01:42 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Good job USFA........ any mink yet?

#2247036 - 11/18/10 02:01 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

On the second pic, how deep is the water under the snare? Would the snare be better is riding lower to the water or even touching it?

Originally Posted By: USAFtrapper

#2247268 - 11/18/10 04:26 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
USAFtrapper Offline
trapper

No mink in snares yet LT, to much fluctuation in the water right now. And Andy, that snare is approx 2 in from the bottom, the picture is deceiving. The water is only an inch deep and the snare is an inch from the water. The loop is about 2.5 to 3in. Hopefully there will be some catch pics to follow.

Edited by USAFtrapper (11/18/10 04:27 PM)

#2283310 - 12/06/10 09:38 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper

Loc: Rodney,Ohio
We got some snow on the ground now here, about to head out and attempt to get a few animals snared since apparently coon trapping might be a bit hard to do for a few days <_<(not that I wont have a few DP's and snares ready for when they back out)

#2311350 - 12/18/10 06:28 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Kyle Weaver Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Oh

2 and 3/4th inch loop 2" off the ground, hows it look. i wasnt shure if blending or anything was nessecary?

#2318470 - 12/21/10 10:03 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Doeboy Offline
trapper

Loc: North, New Jersey
How long is the stake you use to hold the snare? Do mink require a long anchor on dry land? new to the site. thanks

#2319241 - 12/22/10 10:51 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Stake? You mean like a re-bar stake?

#2320408 - 12/22/10 09:31 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Doeboy Offline
trapper

in the pictue it shows a metal rod which holds or anchors the snare. i guess my question is what means do you use to anchor the snare so the mink does not run of with the snare? are mink strong? this thread preaches two swivels and i agree.that set up is neat. thanks

#2321332 - 12/23/10 11:52 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: Doeboy]
Ken Kuiken Offline
trapper

Loc: stuck in the swamps of jersey
Doeboy, I use the biggest Backstap I can find !!!!! grin

#2322322 - 12/23/10 07:48 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
coonhuntingkid Offline
trapper

Loc: lima ohio (NW) 16 y/o
I couldn't get a good picture.. my phone was blurry. But here's a snare I got out today

#2324869 - 12/25/10 12:28 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Doeboy Offline
trapper

Ken,

Im gettin ready, got some spots we need to walk!

#2340016 - 12/31/10 06:24 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Wrong lock and/or cable will cause fur damage

#2475139 - 02/28/11 02:13 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
forestman3 Offline
trapper

Loc: Huntingdon Co. Pa.
I wish we could do this in Pa.

#2475467 - 02/28/11 04:45 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
1775 Offline
trapper

Lt.,
What do you think about 1/19 for mink and release ferruls for the Ohio required B.A.D? I have a lot of 1/19 ..1/16. I have noticed the loops dont close well on the small looops with the 1/19.

#2475610 - 02/28/11 05:49 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Go with the 7x7. It will close better than the 1x19.

#2736660 - 09/18/11 12:22 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
JesseMcCoun Offline
trapper

Does anyone have anymore set locations with pics? I'm thinking of doing this pretty much all season this year.

#2737078 - 09/18/11 06:55 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
woodsmoke Offline
trapper

Loc: N.C.on the Pee-Dee river
JesseMcCoun, get Eric Space's dvd there great no matter what traps you use,Newt also has a mink/muskrat snareing dvd which is on my wish list....woodsmoke

#2737270 - 09/18/11 08:35 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
JesseMcCoun Offline
trapper

I own both of those videos and love both of them. I just like to see the scenery on trapperman and peoples thoughts and ideas.

#2737404 - 09/18/11 09:47 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
I notice that a lot of those snared mink are alive.Would it not be better to have them dead in the snare or is this hard to achieve because of their size? Looking at the pictures I would think that fur damage would be a problem with the way a mink fights the snare.Does anyone have a picture of a mink pelt from one that was alive in a snare?

#2737427 - 09/18/11 10:04 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
woodsmoke Offline
trapper

Loc: N.C.on the Pee-Dee river
Jesse, When youve got a potluck full of people like on here you cant help but come away with some great tips,keep the swivel as close as possible to the loc,you cant add to many.the snare should b as close to the support as can b (many a time ive used a split stick for a support where you can snare mink and other critters as well this is all you need)everyone has there own type and they all seem to work,cable if it were me 7X7 1/6 CUSTOM LOADED TO THE POINT WHERE ITS WIDER THEH HIGH a fine line there not as relavent with 3/64 cable i like bmi minne,bullet locs for small snares it what works for me,folks reinvent the wheel dayly playaround with what youve heard/seen and injoy Clark has given me some of the best advise when i first started making mink/rat snares,when you touch/trip the snare it should close(jump) shut to a 50cent piece or smaller....woodsmoke

Edited by woodsmoke (09/18/11 10:07 PM)

#2738710 - 09/19/11 08:31 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
JesseMcCoun Offline
trapper

Thanks for the tips. I have caught mink in conibears and foothold traps but for the last two years I have tried to snare them and have not connected. I know the location I even blind set most of my foothold traps but for some reason when I put snares in there I don't catch any. Its probably something I'm doing wrong but who knows?

#2745804 - 09/24/11 05:12 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: LT GREY]
JesseMcCoun Offline
trapper

Keep up the good work.

Same to ya!

#2858456 - 11/29/11 07:36 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
JesseMcCoun Offline
trapper

Where do I get inline swivels by the 100? The only ones I can find are on the snareshop website and they are a little costly.

#2858682 - 11/29/11 08:51 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
coonwild Offline
trapper

Loc: southern ontario canada
try rich kasper at rktrapline supply

my video's: http://www.youtube.com/trappermatt1976

Matt Duncan

#2858770 - 11/29/11 09:26 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
SalinaKSCooner Offline
trapper

Loc: Salina Kansas
Im not going to pretend I know anything about snaring a mink, but dumb luck sure helps.

#2860510 - 11/30/11 08:49 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
rat tail Offline
trapper

I READ I INCH OFF GROUND 3INCH LOOP GOOD LUCK!!

#2889573 - 12/16/11 06:20 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

rail tail..where you from ?

#2925155 - 01/03/12 10:27 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
I've never set a snare in my life, but this topic has me becoming more and more interested in trying it out. From how I read MN snare laws I can't trap in ROW with snares unless they are used in half submerged water sets. With that said, any advice from you snare guys on snaring mink in water sets? Could they be used at bottom edge, or would they just close from the current?

#2925539 - 01/03/12 03:46 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper

Loc: central arkansas
I think current would close a loaded snare, you could try unloaded one.

For trails I like a 3" loop about 3 fingers off hard surface.

Snaring mink is addicting, the only thing I dont like is it tares up the trail.

Anyone really interested in snaring mink should view eric spaces dvds. His snares are great and come loaded extremely fast.

member NTA, NRA, SWARFTA, EAFT

1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator

#2925581 - 01/03/12 04:06 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

I went ahead and ordered Eric Spaces DVD today as several on this thread have sugested. Hopefully it will provide me with a visual referance to better understand snaring mink and rats. I spose' like everything else I've learned while trapping this year, my best bet is to get myself out there and give it a try.

Great thread here guys. Thanks for all you who gave advice and have posted pictures.

#3000154 - 02/07/12 09:56 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Eric has some good solid mink info.

#3002559 - 02/08/12 10:54 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: USAFtrapper]
410shooter Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: USAFtrapper
[size:11pt]A few sets, ye snaremen, how do they look?[/size]

look like better places for 110 to me but look like they will work to me. ive never snared much but i dont see why it wouldnt unless he went under it maybe?

#3003299 - 02/09/12 12:28 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Mink Man Offline
trapper

Loc: adirondack foothills, NY
I wish we could use them in ny, I would love them for my mink snow tunnels.

http://johnsonnuisancetrapping.com/

#3406772 - 11/05/12 05:07 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
laugh

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#3608457 - 02/02/13 08:32 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

anyone still trapping mink ?

#3608481 - 02/02/13 08:45 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LeviSS Offline
trapper

Loc: Central IL
We can only have snares that are half-way under water. I've never used snares. Any way to do these?

Edited by LeviSS (02/02/13 10:08 PM)
Edit Reason: nevermind - has to have a lock that won't let it close less than 2.5"

#3610410 - 02/02/13 11:01 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
muddyriverdogz Offline
trapper

Loc: Cleveland IL
A lot of cool info.

#3610824 - 02/03/13 08:50 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper

Snares for mink are great for kids. My 8 and 10 year old sons, and 12 and 14 yr old daughters catch mink with snares. Easier for those who cant set conibears.

I have pics of my set up and some short videos of caught mink, if interested i can email them.

Edited by the Blak Spot (02/03/13 08:56 AM)

#3733047 - 03/29/13 04:32 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
J_M Offline
trapper

#4038228 - 10/06/13 04:56 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
1.5 coilspring Offline
trapper

Loc: ND
Great thread. I am a foot hold mink trapper from the paleozoic period. ;-{>8

Just hoping not to be too old to learn. Anyone know where I can get Eric Space's mink snaring material?

Thanks.

Only rich trappers can afford cheap traps.

#4038237 - 10/06/13 05:07 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#4038264 - 10/06/13 05:26 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
1.5 coilspring Offline
trapper

Thanks, RN13, done.

#4040314 - 10/07/13 07:37 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
newjerseytrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: north jersey
could you use the same set up for weasels

#4040337 - 10/07/13 07:44 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
1.5 coilspring Offline
trapper

Mr. Space was kind enough to, personally, let me know that he no longer has any of his informational materials on mink snaring and more are not forthcoming. Anyone know where I can find these items? Thanks.

#4074352 - 10/25/13 03:26 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Somebody needs to step up to the plate , then !

#4114422 - 11/14/13 12:43 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
1.5 coilspring Offline
trapper

Clark did!! Blessings be upon him. ;-{>8

#4166610 - 12/10/13 03:06 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
1.5 coilspring Offline
trapper

Clark as in Duluth MN Clark. What a great guy.

#4166684 - 12/10/13 03:36 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: 1.5 coilspring]
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: 1.5 coilspring
Mr. Space was kind enough to, personally, let me know that he no longer has any of his informational materials on mink snaring and more are not forthcoming. Anyone know where I can find these items? Thanks.

Guess i need to be real careful with my vol 1 and 2 dvds then. And i will save one of his snares(might be worth something someday smile

#4166745 - 12/10/13 03:56 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Here's betting there's a mink out there that says you don't ! wink

#4166811 - 12/10/13 04:32 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
ducky Offline
trapper

Loc: androscogin county maine
i see 0 use for snare for mink verse a 110/120 or a foot hold. the mink is dead if the set is set up to kill and there is no chance of alot of fur damage being done to something as fragile as a mink.

14/15 season

rats 0/30
Beav 0/10
Otter 0/6
Mink 0/2
Coon 0/15
Skunks 0/1
Fox 0/4
Yotes 0/5
Cats 0/3
Squirrels 0/infinite
Fisher 0/1
Weasel 0/4

#4166888 - 12/10/13 05:05 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: ducky]
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: ducky
i see 0 use for snare for mink verse a 110/120 or a foot hold. the mink is dead if the set is set up to kill and there is no chance of alot of fur damage being done to something as fragile as a mink.

Unless u live in a state that is snares only.

#4167072 - 12/10/13 06:11 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Well ducky, then consider there are mink you wont catch with a foothold or kill trap that will end up in a snare...
People might want to argue this point and no doubt there will be some egos get in the way.
I wouldn't want per say, to take some the same amount of kill trap and/or footholds and go up against someone like Eric Space with the same amount of snares...I may just get my 'tail' handed back to me, and I know how to trap mink... laugh

Like with coyotes, foxes, cats, etc. snares are just another tool, that if used correctly, will pick up more fur!

#4167184 - 12/10/13 06:42 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
ducky Offline
trapper

Loc: androscogin county maine
blak spot yes if there is even a state that only allows snare, even new jershey can use body grippers if the are set to specifications. and LT maybe its cause i cant use snares for mink that idk much about snaring anything but beaver that i dont know as much about snaring as others. snares are tool yes , they serve their place but i am yet to know of any one that has had a trap wise mink. they dont learn like coyotes, it would take a few time of getting snapped at to be comes wise. if that mink was snapped after 2 time then the trapper/trappers arnt running the equipment they need to or they havent kept there gear in a good enough shape to be a tool on a trapline.

14/15 season

rats 0/30
Beav 0/10
Otter 0/6
Mink 0/2
Coon 0/15
Skunks 0/1
Fox 0/4
Yotes 0/5
Cats 0/3
Squirrels 0/infinite
Fisher 0/1
Weasel 0/4

#4432576 - 04/15/14 01:20 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
J_M Offline
trapper

To the top with you!

Thanks all for all the information you have shared I enjoy.

#4433141 - 04/15/14 12:18 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: ducky]
mud Offline
trapper

Loc: NJ...unfortunately
Originally Posted By: ducky
i see 0 use for snare for mink verse a 110/120 or a foot hold.

Easy there Ducky. There's a few guys here that could prove otherwise by posting numbers..that I promise. Eric first and foremost.
What you say about NJ and conis is true to a point..but they need to be completely submerged. So for any land sets here, its gotta be a snare.
I wont speak for Eric or anyone else for that matter but I know this..there's times when Ive trapped in Pa where I WISH I could hang a snare in a place I CAN run steel.

#4434123 - 04/15/14 09:19 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Computer Hater Offline
trapper

I was lucky enough to be invited by Eric to ride along on his mink line several years ago. The man not only knows how to snare mink but knows how to snare other furbearers also. Eric snares 99% of his mink by the neck and there is no fur damage. I saw numerous set locations and types of sets where the snare was the better option.

Eric traps in and around a very populated area. It was very interesting to see how he adapted his line to the area he had to work with. I know one place we stopped it seemed like we had to wait 5 minutes just to cross the road because of the heavy traffic. I'm not sure I could adjust to that much traffic and activity. I'm used to being on backroads for the most part with very little traffic. But as the old saying goes, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade and that is exactly what Eric has done.

Eric's videos are well worth the money and even if you have no desire to snare or can't snare there is still a lot of good info to be learned from them if you can find them for sale.

#4440227 - 04/20/14 04:05 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
roe Offline
trapper

Loc: England. UK
Brilliant thread....

#4474229 - 05/14/14 01:30 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
J_M Offline
trapper

#4476949 - 05/16/14 11:00 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Chubbymuffin Offline
trapper

Loc: New Jersey
Guys,

Anyone have Erics DVD's and would be willing to let me make a copy?

I would be glad to put up some collateral and promise a safe return home.

Thanks,
Red

#4478931 - 05/17/14 08:09 PM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
1.5 coilspring Offline
trapper

Red, if you PM me your address and are a bit patient I will get you a copy. Clark from Duluth sent me his copies and I have had them copied and my son in law has them right now. When I get them back and make myself a copy, it would be easy to make one for you. I would be only doing what a great member here did for me. TR

#4480662 - 05/19/14 08:37 AM Re: Mink Snaring [Re: shaun]
Chubbymuffin Offline
trapper

Loc: New Jersey
TR,

Thanks for the generous offer. PM on its way!

Red

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie