ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Setting squirrel cages on roof #5836942
03/06/17 08:53 PM
03/06/17 08:53 PM
Erie, PA
SifordOutdoorZ Offline OP
trapper
SifordOutdoorZ  Offline OP
trapper

Erie, PA
Hey guys got to secure two small cage traps to a roof for reds. How do you guys usually secure them so as not to nail or screw into shingles.

Sifords Wildlife Services
Re: Setting squirrel cages on roof [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5837270
03/07/17 07:13 AM
03/07/17 07:13 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Always used roof brackets and a short 1x to set on a pitch, and secured it to the 1x. I also was in construction for some time and was confident in sealing up nail holes with flashing and sealants. Then when I couldn't set on a pitch or slate roof, I use gutteres if available or a piece of 1x with L brackets on a gable or fascia. Using rope to tie off to chimneys and vent stacks isn't my thing.

Last edited by TDHP; 03/07/17 08:34 AM.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Setting squirrel cages on roof [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5837286
03/07/17 07:55 AM
03/07/17 07:55 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
If live traps MAKE SURE THE SQUIRRELS CAN NOT REACH SHINGLES FROM IN TRAP

you may already know that but a reminder for you. Replacing a customers roof will hurt your bottom line a little

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Setting squirrel cages on roof [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5837293
03/07/17 08:09 AM
03/07/17 08:09 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Roof brackets and 1x stock is ideal because you can secure it far enough off the roof and if need be drop bait infront of or behind if running two door traps. The 1x stock provides a great runner for them and they're light weight,and easy to carry on a roof.

Last edited by TDHP; 03/07/17 07:15 PM.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Setting squirrel cages on roof [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5837962
03/07/17 07:33 PM
03/07/17 07:33 PM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
You can find tons of tips here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MiBNWf5kwA

Re: Setting squirrel cages on roof [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5845672
03/14/17 10:19 AM
03/14/17 10:19 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I never have had squirrels damage shingles on a roof. I do place duct tape around the trap to keep the squirrel out of sight and out of mind from folks and to retain the squirrel smells that help catching squirrels.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Setting squirrel cages on roof [Re: Jonesie] #5846149
03/14/17 06:04 PM
03/14/17 06:04 PM
E. Iowa
H
hvtrapper Offline
trapper
hvtrapper  Offline
trapper
H

E. Iowa
Originally Posted By: Jonesie
I never have had squirrels damage shingles on a roof. I do place duct tape around the trap to keep the squirrel out of sight and out of mind from folks and to retain the squirrel smells that help catching squirrels.

X2

Tom Walters
Re: Setting squirrel cages on roof [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5846426
03/14/17 09:51 PM
03/14/17 09:51 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Over many years of doing this business, I have found the most effective way to place squirrel traps on rooftops (or ANYWHERE baited traps are used) is by using trap shelves. Trap shelves have holes drilled for attaching traps securely with spring hooks from Doug Fields.

There are multiple reasons. First off, it may take an extra few minutes to mount the shelves, but it is a time-saver due to how fast you can swap traps when using the spring hooks.

Reason 2: Squirrels will coat the boards with urine and feces when caught, creating an attractant far more powerful than any bait or lure.

Reason 3: Traps not secured will often misfire due to squirrels moving/jiggling them as they try to get to the bait from the sides or back. Securing traps with the spring hooks (or even wiring them) will almost eliminate misses, as the squirrels can crawl on the traps, paw at them from the sides or bump/push at them with their nose and the traps stay set. I have observed squirrels *working* traps for many years, which is exactly why I secure ALL squirrel traps, unless they are set in soft dirt and can be bedded in solid.

Reason 4: Bait stays in the trap. Doesn't fall through the wire if using peanuts, corn, etc.

Here's a couple pics showing the very simple trap shelf set-up. You will notice I even use the trap shelves on the ground. Again, cuts down on misfires and the boards hold the scent from urine and feces.

The board (shelf) below the meter is actually upside-down in this setting. I attach a small board along one edge, and for setting rooftops the board is what makes the shelf level (or close to level). I have them with varying heights on the leveling board.

The spring hooks are designed for gutter mounting (to gutter support brackets) and work perfectly. Usually have to use a 1/2-piece of bread to hold bait from falling through the bottom of the trap. I'll apply some peanut butter, then dab in some sunflower seeds, peanuts, or corn.

Ron Scheller

Re: Setting squirrel cages on roof [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5846756
03/15/17 08:21 AM
03/15/17 08:21 AM
Erie, PA
SifordOutdoorZ Offline OP
trapper
SifordOutdoorZ  Offline OP
trapper

Erie, PA
Ron this is essentially what I ended up doing. However not as thought out. I think I'm gonna be interested in getting some of those hooks from Doug. Is there a way to contact him or does he have a website. My target species usually is not greys but the little reds however same concept in sure could work very well.

Sifords Wildlife Services
Re: Setting squirrel cages on roof [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5846792
03/15/17 09:09 AM
03/15/17 09:09 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
I tried opening their website, but it's not working. Their e-mail is fds@fieldsdevsupply.com

Website is (was?) www.fieldsdevsupply.com

Ron Scheller

Re: Setting squirrel cages on roof [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5848916
03/17/17 08:29 AM
03/17/17 08:29 AM
E. Iowa
H
hvtrapper Offline
trapper
hvtrapper  Offline
trapper
H

E. Iowa
I've been using boards since Ron shared them on an earlier post and they're well worth the extra effort to put some together.
Some of my "squirrel" boards have a sheet metal tunnel and others use a couple of metal roofing screws(with the washer top)and a piece of plumbing strap to secure the traps.
For bait holder/eye appeal I collect walnut hulls squirrels have opened and emptied. Pack some paste bait in the cavities of the nut shell and go.
Most of my "bait set" traps have duct tape wrapped around the back portion of the trap.

Tom Walters
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread