trapping
kids

Trading Post

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
Soybean in the few that still row crop. I suspect most of it here is to keep the ag easement tax break until it eventually gets sold for development.
7 147 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
Starting next week. Got anhydrous done this week. Finishing up spraying and spreading sulfate, then rolling with the planter.

Most farms in our area haven’t started, I’d say less than 5% planted
7 147 Read More
Wilderness Trapping and Living
1 hour ago
Made it up and back......beautiful country. We'll be back sans the daughter for a longer stay. Think I would like mid June time frame. Weather was OK obviously not tourist season. Here are my take aways.....I didn't expect the homeless problem that Anchorage has and maybe it's bad just in downtown area. Stayed in bnb by Elderberry Park. 49th brewery was good food and atmosphere. Kinda liked the spicy Carmel corn for snacking. Not a fan of IPA beer so limited my experience a little. The brew house was by far the best food of trip, sat at the bar by bartender, that guy worked his backside off as the order machine never stopped. Went to David Green fur gallery. Got to go into the vault with the owner, talkative gal, a whole bunch of product back there. Went to Kincaid and saw some moose, wife's highlight of trip. Drove down and saw the bore tide roll in, some crazies were out in the water riding the wave. Weather that day was rainy so didn't go all the way to Seward. 4/20 had lines coming out of the dispensaries, lol. Drove to Denali Park and had clear skies all day. Did go to the salmon hatchery, wrong time of year, but definitely state of art facility.

Thanks for the suggestions, obviously short trip didn't allow for longer drives.
18 1,724 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Okie Farmer
Originally Posted by warrior
Bigbrownie touched on something, the massive availability of information. Much of it good much of it not.

Do not buy into "treatment free" hands off do nothing styles of keeping bees. Bees are livestock and subject to all sorts of diseases and parasites. You would not get a flock of chickens and not do what you can to keep them healthy or prevent predators from carrying them off. Do the same for bees.

My advice learn to walk before you try to run. Go with what works and has worked for over a century, standard langstroth hive and standard practices. Once you got that down then feel free to try other things. The good things is that bees will be bees and they know what they are doing. Learn to work with them and not against them.

When you're ready to tackle the varroa issue go to www.scientificbeekeeping.com and read everything. That'll keep you busy for awhile.

Do not adopt an anticommercial position like so many try to get new beekeepers to do. The commercial guys love bees just as much if not more than the backyard keepers. Matter of fact many of them rely on backyard keepers for bee sales such as packages, nucs, queens or equipment and many go out of their way to help new beekeepers.

One youtube channel to watch is Bob Binnie's.

Bob Binnie has a very easy to listen to style and shares a lot of information. I don't have bees but keep learning and say someday.

A little about Bob. For a west coast transplant he's about as good a north Georgia sourwood beekeeper as there ever was. Bob will go just about anywhere in the state to talk to a local club and refuses to take speakers fees and his operation is about as far north as you can go and not be in North Carolina. He's active in our state association which makes him an oddity as most commercial guys washed their hands of the Atlanta/UGA clique over a decade ago. Bob regularly donates time and bees to the UGA bee lab and participates in ongoing bee research.

I don't know Bob well but he's one of those guys that I enjoy being around and take note of all that e says when it comes to bees. The late Carl Webb was another.
55 2,695 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
Your turkey will be fine. I always put mine in the garage fridge, for 3-4 days before cleaning. Whole bird, guts in tact. They clean easier firm like that in my opinion. Been doing this for a long time no issues.
23 902 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
Another interesting game
20 999 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
Lots of trappers clean, modify and dye/dip their traps in the spring or early summer.

No problem if they are stored out away from say a garage that has gas, exhaust odors, etc.

I like it better because the late summer & early fall is less hectic with rushing to get traps treated when you can be out hunting/ scouting.
3 109 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
100% here I would guess
7 147 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
For you guys from out of state, weather depending there can be great duck hunting in parts of western mn during that time as well, you could definitely stay busy for a couple weeks in western MN in November, grouse, rabbits, Great place that time of year
18 1,064 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
[Linked Image]
8 483 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
I never have done it at end of season always about august for me
3 109 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
Super hunt. Congrats to both.
10 262 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
How much corn planting is done in your area would guess about 10 percent done in my area we have 20 percent of ours planted
7 147 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
I have been going through all of my traps and making any repairs or Modifications before hanging them. Anyone do any dipping before storing for the summer. I never have. Always wait until late summer before getting them back out.
3 109 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
Dirt those US accounts are free for 65+ residents
42 2,177 Read More
Trapper Talk
1 hour ago
I shot one last September in my pear tree.

[Linked Image]
18 254 Read More
Trapper Talk
2 hours ago
They will also move and feed at night. Had them on trail cameras a number of times at night.
18 254 Read More
Trapper Talk
2 hours ago
If it smells fine , it is fine. Any place in the states that got down to 30 last night, you know as soon as the sun set it got cold. I have waited a day or two before cleaning waterfowl, but outside temps barely got above freezing during the day. Still I'm sure you're fine. Turkey should be cooked fully anyway. If it had been gut shot, things would probably have been different.
23 902 Read More
Trapper Talk
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Vinke
I love a long chain a t stake and a 5 or larger trap,,,,,

I am playing with a "light weight" at the end of a chai drowner with an extension cable across the creek to another anchor. So far it has worked great. This beaver wasn't caught in such a set up.
16 924 Read More
Trapper Talk
2 hours ago
Nudder
28 572 Read More
Trapper Talk
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Is she hot.....

I am[HIDDEN SPOILER CONTENT].in yoicks mode.......

auto-correct
18 1,064 Read More
Trapper Talk
2 hours ago
All of our Grandkids are in Private Christian schools. Never had any Pennbrook Middle school problems and never will. This 13 yr old boy who claims to be a Tranny had a hit list of Girls he wanted to kill. The school was aware of the threats and still let him beat a 12 year old girl in the Cafeteria with a medal Stanley Coffee thermos for over 15 minutes in her head. She is in the Hospital but this could have and should have been avoided. In court this little punk attacked the deputies when they tried control him. I think the school and school Board should all be sued. Basically the same thing that went on in Virginia in their Public Schools. mad
6 209 Read More
Trapper Talk
2 hours ago
Bs back in the lead!!!
20 999 Read More
Trapper Talk
2 hours ago
Filson, KaBar, Bowie

Moosetrot
28 572 Read More
Trapper Talk
2 hours ago
American honeybees are at an all time high:

https://www.wpr.org/news/honey-native-bees-popular-struggle

I didn't realize there are so many types of native bees.
55 2,695 Read More
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21